Graduated in physics from Korea University. He studied systemic theology at the Graduate School of the Methodist Theological Seminary in Seoul (Korea), with which he obtained the title of magister in theology (Master of Theology). He received his doctorate in theology from the Theological Faculty of the Universität Basel (Switzerland), with the dissertation Die Hoffnung des Nichts: Zur Eschatologie von Paul Schütz im Dialog mit der Zen-Lehre Chinuls. His academic interests include interreligious dialogue, dialogue between religion and science, bioethics and Christian literature.
Among his numerous publications it can be highlighted the following ones:
- 엔도 슈사쿠: 흔적과 아픔의 문학』서울:비아토르 [Shusaku Endo: The Literature of Trace and Pain] (Seoul: Viator Publishing, 2017. [In Korean])
- “Der philosophische Glaube angesichts des religiösen Pluralismus” (In: Cesana, Andreas. Kulturkonflikte und Kommunikation. Cross-Cultural Conflicts and Communication: Zur Aktualität von Jaspers‘Philosophie. Rethinking Jaspers‘Philosophie Today. Würzburg: Königshausen & Neuman, 2016, pp.325-332)
- “Religion and Science in Dialogue: An Asian Christian View” (In: Zygon: Journal of Religion and Science, vol. 51, No. 1, March 2016, pp.63-70)}
- 無住와 放浪：基督 教神学 의 仏教的想像力』서울:동연출판사 [Non-Abiding and Erring: A Buddhist Imagination of Christian Theology] (Seoul: Dongyon Publishing, 2015, 398p. [In Korean])
- “Śūnyatā and Kokoro: Science-Religion dialogue in the Japanese Context” (In: Zygon: Journal of Religion and Science, vol.50, No. 1, March 2015, pp.155-171)
- “How could we get over the monotheistic paradigm for the interreligious dialogue?” (In: Journal of Inter-religious Studies, vol. 13, 2014, pp. 20-33)
- 벚꽃과 그리스도: 문학으로 보는 일본 기독교의 계보』서울:동연출판사 [Cherry Blossom and Christ: Japanese Christianity seen from the Japanese Literature] (Seoul: Dongyon Publishing, 2012. [In Korean])
- 神 と遺伝子：遺伝 子工学時代におけるキリスト教』東京：教文館 [God and Gene: The Christianity in the Age of Genetic Engineering] (Tokyo: Kyobunkan, 2009, 279p. [In Japanese])
- キリス ト教の世界――大学生のためのキリスト教入門』(共著), 東京:日 本学術出版社 [Introduction to the Christian thought for the University Students] (Tokio: Academic Book Publisher, 2003 [In Japanese])
- 『DNA에서 만나는 신과 인간』 서울:동연출판사 [God meets Man in DNA] (Seoul: Dongyon Publishing, 2002 [In Korean])
He taught theology, science of religion and bioethics in Korea and Japan for more than 20 years. Currently is he director of the Nanzan Institute for Religion and Culture in Nagoya (Japan), which he joined in 2012. He is also a professor at the Faculty of Arts & Letters of the Nanzan University of Nagoya (Japan).